Important Information about The Salvation Army Aged Care’s response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) >

Frequently Asked Questions Expand all

Residential aged care is a term used to describe accommodation that includes care for those that need aged care services for ongoing health and nursing assistance.

To make the move into a residential aged care centre, you will need an aged care assessment. Aged Care Assessors are qualified health professionals who can discuss your health care needs and guide you towards a selection of residential aged care centres that best meet your care needs. If you have a preferred location you can advise your local Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) referrer.

Many of our centres are fully furnished, but residents are welcome to bring their own furniture and any personal items and mementos as long as it is in accordance with the centre’s work, health and safety guidelines.

Referrals for an ACAT assessment can be made by anyone. ACATs cover all of Australia and are based in hospitals or in the local community. Information about the ACAT closest to you is available by calling the My Aged Care phone line on 1800 200 422. You may wish to see your own doctor first and they will also be able to put you in contact with your local ACAT.

The type of care you will receive depends on the assessment from an Aged Care Assessor and can include:

  • Home care services and packages
  • Respite care
  • Residential aged care services

TSAAC can provide general information to assist you with selecting a living location that meets your lifestyle preferences and aged care needs. TSAAC provides aged care services across 21 residential aged care centres in NSW, ACT and QLD. Our government accredited residential aged care centres offer a broad selection of care options including short term respite care, secure dementia care and some centres also offer specialised care for people living with mental illness or challenging behaviours.

Because individual preferences vary, we recommend you speak with our friendly Client Services team on 1300 111 227 to discuss your needs and the types of care available at your preferred location.

There are five simple steps you need to take to enter into a residential aged care centre. Click here to find out how to get started.

All residential fees and charges are determined by the Government. Please click here for up to date information about residential aged care fees and charges.

Yes, for anyone seeking admission to a residential aged care centre, you must request this assistance through the national My Aged Care Program. My Aged Care is the Federal Government’s centralised application system. Those who are wanting to receive services for the first time must go through My Aged Care to request assistance by calling their helpline 1800 200 422. My Aged Care will then refer you to organisations that provide your required services like The Salvation Army Aged Care (TSAAC). It is important to note that if you do choose to use TSAAC’s services, you must notify My Aged Care and then, a referral will be sent to us. If you require assistance with the My Aged Care process, please contact us and our friendly team can assist you with this too.

At TSAAC, we adopt a person-centred model of care approach. If one’s needs change, we can tailor our care plans accordingly.

Our dedicated Chef and Food Service Team cater to all dietary requirements including texture, allergies, cultural as well as general likes and dislikes.

Click here to learn more about food at The Salvation Army Aged Care

You may book a tour for one of our residential aged care centres here

The Salvation Army acknowledges the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia and recognises their continuing connection to land, waters and community. We pay our respects to them and their cultures; and to elders both past and present.